3D modeling, animation, and rendering software
Produce professional-quality 3D animations, renders, and models with 3ds Max® software. An efficient toolset helps you create better 3D and virtual reality (VR) content in less time.
Why 3ds Max
- Easy, robust modeling
Create, shape, and define a range of environments and detailed characters.
- High-end rendering
3ds Max works with most major renderers - including Arnold, V-Ray, and Iray - to help create striking scenes and visuals.
- Efficient 3D animation
Build imaginative characters and realistic scenes for games, architecture, and product design.
- Flexible interoperability
Revit, Inventor, and Fusion 360, as well as SketchUp, Unity, and Unreal, all work with 3ds Max.
With monthly and annual options, subscribing to 3ds Max is flexible and cost-effective. You can:
- Get instant access to the latest releases and enhancements.
- Use your software at home or when traveling.
- Process computing-intensive tasks in the cloud, such as rendering, simulations, or caching.
- Get access to technical support via phone, chat, email and online resources.
3D animation and dynamics
- 3ds Max Fluids
Create realistic liquid behaviors directly in 3ds Max.
- Motion Paths
Manipulate animations directly in the viewport and get direct feedback when making adjustments in your scene.
- Character animation and rigging tools
Create procedural animation and character rigging with CAT, biped, and crowd animation tools.
- 3ds Max Interactive
Access integrated tools for creating VR visualizations without leaving your 3ds Max workspace.
- Arnold for 3ds Max
The MAXtoA plug-in is integrated into 3ds Max, giving you access to Arnold's latest features.
- Physical Camera
Simulate real-life camera settings such as shutter speed, aperture, depth of field, exposure, and other options.
- Improved ActiveShade rendering
Iterate quickly with interactive rendering.
UI, workflow, and pipeline
- Asset Library
Access 3D content on your local computer and network in a single view, making content instantly searchable.
- Improved pipeline tools integration
Gain tighter integration with several pipeline tools with an extended and improved Python/.NET toolset.
- Smart asset packaging
Create, share, and update portable assets that are flexible, connected, and react to changes in design data.
- Modern UI and workspaces
Create your own custom workspaces with a more modern, responsive, high-DPI-ready user interface.
New Features in 3ds Max 2022
- Safe Scene Script Execution offers protection against malicious scripts embedded in 3ds Max scene files, regardless of whether these scripts use Maxscript, Python or .NET commands, by blocking the execution of unsafe commands.
- The Malware Removal functionality detects and removes known malicious scripts from scene files and startup scripts. This prevents the spread of malicious code to other users. The malware removal functionality is powered by the Scene Security Tools plugin, which is updated whenever Autodesk becomes aware of a new malicious script.
In 3ds Max 2022, users are notified when a new version of the Scene Security Tools is available on the Autodesk App Store.
- Smart Extrude
- Edit Poly modifier support: Smart Extrude has been extended into the Edit Poly modifier, providing the same functionality and features users have come to love from the Editable Poly implementation. This extension of Smart Extrude enables artists to further benefit from this freeform modeling method, and complement their poly modeling workflows in 3ds Max.
- "Cut Through" implementation: When first introduced in 3ds Max 2021.2, the Smart Extrude functionality enabled artists to extrude with fewer constraints during the creative modeling process. "Cut Through", the latest addition to Smart Extrude, further enhances this functionality to give artists the extrude they deserve.
When performing an inward or outward Smart Extrusion (Shift+LMB drag operation on an Edit Poly or Editable Poly), complete intersections of these results will now add, unify, or completely cut-through and remove faces of the operand result with your mesh geometry. This new Smart Extrude enhancement enables artists to freely construct unified mesh geometry, enhancing the poly modeling experience in 3ds Max.
- Slice Modifier
- 3ds Max includes performance enhancements to the Slice modifier, and new modeling features based on user feedback. These enhancements and new features are powerful complements to 3ds Max workflows, as they reduce data processing operations for Autodesk Retopology Tools in 3ds Max. Capping: Open holes created by the Slice operation can now be capped along their boundary edges on both Mesh and Poly objects.
- Multi-Axis Cutting: Perform a X-, Y-, and/or Z-aligned planar slice of your mesh based on the position of the slice gizmo through a single modifier.
- Radial Slice: A new Radial slice operation enables control of the cutting results based on a set of user-defined min and max angles.
- Alignment options: Quickly align the cutting gizmo to faces on an object, or reference another animatable object in your scene.
- Extrude Modifier
- The Extrude modifier, one of the most frequently used modifiers in 3ds Max, offers significant performance improvements to the speed of the initial extrude calculation, and to the responsiveness of the output when adjusting the amount parameter. This allows complex splines, which used to take minutes to process, to be operated on in a matter of seconds. Artists can achieve a desired look faster and more interactively.
- Symmetry Modifier
- The Symmetry modifier, a commonly used modeling modifier in 3ds Max, includes new features and enhancements that benefit modeling and retopology workflows in 3ds Max. Symmetry can now produce faster results, and offers a more interactive experience in the Viewport.
- Multi-Axis Symmetry: Planar symmetry has been updated to perform, X, Y, and/or Z symmetry results on the symmetry gizmo.
- Radial Symmetry: A new Radial symmetry function allows artists to quickly duplicate and repeat a geometry around the gizmo center. This new feature based on user feedback enables artists to rapidly create new variations.
- Alignment options: Align the symmetry gizmo to faces on an object, or reference another animatable object in your scene.
- AutoSmooth operations, which are used to improve the visual quality of mesh data throughout 3ds Max, have been updated to generate new smoothing data faster, regardless of whether you are smoothing thousands or millions of faces. This update helps artists when adjusting smoothing data on objects like Mesh, Poly or Spline. It also benefits other modifiers such as Smooth, Chamfer, Edit Mesh, Edit Poly, ProOptimize, and many more.
- Relax Modifier
- 3ds Max now includes a "volume preserve" option which has been added to the Relax modifier. When active, the Relax algorithm will perform additional calculations to reduce small detail and noise out from models, all while retaining the shape and definition of the overall mesh that the modifier has been applied to.
This functionality is especially useful when working with data containing a large amount of unwanted small or microsurface detail, as seen with Scan and Sculpt data. Reducing this small "noisy" data with Relax can improve the processing time of the Autodesk Retopology Tools for 3ds Max
- New render configuration window; faster, snappier, all QT-based UI.
- Quicksilver render settings are now QT-based, for a faster, more responsive experience. The Viewport Bloom settings have also been synced to the Quicksilver settings.
- By utilizing the new Viewport Ambient Occlusion sampling value in the Viewport configuration settings, users can further refine their Viewport lookdev and optimize their GPU performance by increasing or decreasing the Viewport Ambient Occlusion quality.
- The 'Auto-tx' can now be used to automate the process of converting texture files to .tx file format at render time.
- Imagers can now be applied, removed, re-ordered, and edited directly in a dedicated tab of the Arnold RenderView to post-process rendering without additional render time.
- A new Light Mixer imager makes it possible to interactively edit the contribution of each light group AOVs during and after rendering, without restarting the render.
- Bloom or "glow", a post-processing effect, has been added to the Lens Effect imager to blur pixels above a given threshold across the frame and simulate light bleeding on an imperfect lens.
- Noice Denoiser is now a post-processing effect. Artists can automatically denoise images every time they render a scene. Edit the denoising settings and see the resulting image directly in the render view.
- OptiX Denoiser: The OptiX™ denoiser is now available as a post-processing effect. This imager also exposes additional controls for clamping and blending the result.
- Bake to Texture
- The Bake to Texture interface has been simplified to offer easier navigation and selection of baked map types by grouping render elements under common map names. Now, users don't need to remember the specific element name in the render engine they are using to bake frequently used map types like color maps, normal maps, and other PBR compatible maps that are needed in production.
Bake to Texture now features a number of new utility maps, such as Rounded Corners and Material ID maps. This enables artists to quickly arrange, what was previously a complex material setup workflow, quickly and easily into Bake to Textures results , using only a few clicks.
- Turn any floating Viewport into a full-screen, borderless view. When using Presentation Mode, all gizmos are hidden allowing your 3d scene to be the true hero.
Use the "CTRL+Space" hotkey to jump in/out of full-screen Presentation Mode.
Hassle Free Returns
At Motion Media, our goal is to ensure your complete satisfaction with your purchase. If, for whatever reason, you are dissatisfied with your purchase, you may return it to Motion Media within 30 days. Claims for missing items or items damaged in transit must be received within three business days of receipt of merchandise.
Refunds on returned items will be issued in the same payment form as tendered at the time of purchase. If payment was made by credit card, once we receive the product we will credit your account. Please allow 7-10 days for a credit to appear on your credit card statement. If payment was made by check, please allow 10 business days for a refund check to be issued.
Please read all conditions below. If conditions are not met, Motion Media reserves the right to refuse the return or to charge a restocking fee of up to 25%.
How to return or exchange an item:
- In order to return an item you need to first obtain an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number.
- To request an RMA number, please visit our contact page and send us an email with the request.
- To request an RMA number by phone, call Customer Service at 310-450-4000.
- Place the original package into a shipping carton.
- Include the invoice and the reason for the return. If defective, please specify the defect.
- Please do not place stickers or shipping labels on the original manufacturer's package.
- The RMA number must be clearly written on the outer box. If you received a label in the email, print the label and tape it to the carton.
- Ship via insured ground service with a tracking number. Return shipping charges are the responsibility of the customer. We are not responsible for lost or damaged packages.
- Send pre-authorized returns to:
Motion Media, LLC
709 N. Douglas St.
El Segundo, CA 90245
- Alternatively, you may return an item at our office at the above location, with an approved RMA.
- All returned or exchanged items must be in new condition, in the original box, and must include all packing material, blank warranty cards, manuals, and all accessories.
- Motion Media is not responsible for personal data or items left in returned merchandise.
- Defective items may be repaired or exchanged at our discretion for the same model or manufacturer's equivalent model.
- RMA numbers are valid for 10 days.
- Motion Media is not responsible for any consequential or incidental damage resulting from the sale or use of any merchandise bought from us. We are responsible for the monetary value of the merchandise only.
No Return/Exchange On:
- Any Electronically Delivered Software*
- 3D Printers & Accessories
- Custom systems built or modified by Motion Media to customer's specifications
- Educational dvd's and books once unwrapped
- Motion Media Gift Cards are redeemable for merchandise only and may not be redeemed for cash.
*We offer 30 day returns on Autodesk licenses, excluding monthly terms.