The industry's leading rotoscoping and paint tool is packed with major compositing features. Silhouette delivers 400+ VFX nodes, including Boris FX Sapphire, Mocha Pro, and Particle Illusion. Top artists have relied on Silhouette on Hollywood's biggest titles for over fifteen years. The Academy and Emmy Award-winning toolkit created by visual effect artists recently made its mark on Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Top Gun: Maverick, Dune, and The Mandalorian - and is a member of the Netflix Production Technology Alliance.
What's New in Silhouette 2023
- AI / ML: Generative AI and machine learning tools debut in the Stability and Denoiser ML nodes.
- Grain Management Tools: Denoiser ML, Regrain, and Sapphire UltraGrain nodes deliver cinematic realism to projects.
- Primatte: The Academy Award-nominated technology makes it easy to key and composite green/blue screen footage with a GPU-accelerated algorithm and 3D Preview display.
- Expressions: Create complex animations & link parameters, perform math functions, and use variables without writing code.
- Nodes: Atmospheric Glow and Curves.
- Presets: Beauty Studio, Camera Shake, Chromatic Aberration, Day for Night, Develop, Film Glow, Grunge, Light Leaks, Prism, Rays, Smear Blur, Sunset, Two Strip, Vignette, and X-Ray.
Stable Diffusion is a pioneering, deep-learning text-to-image model primarily used to generate detailed images based on text descriptions.
The new Stability node integrates Stable Diffusion models directly in Silhouette. Inpaint, outpaint, or generate images from scratch using text prompts!
Packed with Effects Tools
New 2023 versions of Sapphire, Mocha Pro, Particle Illusion, and select Continuum nodes.
- Sapphire: Award-winning effects with 270+ nodes and thousands of presets. Featuring the best lighting effects, lens flares, and creative image processing filters.
- Mocha Pro: Featuring PowerMesh, Remove, and Stabilize. Data ports and node actions integrate Mocha Pro with other nodes.
- Particle Illusion: Create realistic particle simulations with 3D emitters, fluid dynamics, and a massive preset library. Add useful environmental elements such as snow, smoke, and fire - all within Silhouette.
- Continuum: Atmospheric Glow, Magic Sharp, Beauty Studio, Light Leaks, Video Glitch, Film Glow, and many blur filters.
Grain Management Nodes
Three powerful nodes join Silhouette's expanded grain management tools.
- Denoiser ML: Employs sophisticated deep learning techniques to eliminate unwanted noise from images while preserving critical features.
- Regrain: Samples the source image's grain, regenerates and randomizes it for the purpose of adding it back to a degrained composite.
- Sapphire UltraGrain: Adds simulated film and digital camera grain to the image.
Make quick work out of challenging blue/green screen footage.
Primatte keys out and replaces blue/green screens with transparency to seamlessly replace backgrounds. The GPU-accelerated algorithm uses three multi-faceted polyhedrons floating in RGB color space to isolate color regions. A 3D Preview display aids in the visualization of the keyed value.
Professional Roto Tools
Silhouette is the world’s most refined rotoscoping tool. Create sophisticated masks using B-Spline, Bezier, X-Spline, or Magnetic Freehand shapes. Easy-to-use tools such as variable per-point edge softening and magnetic reshaping assist in creating articulate animations in record time. Render mattes with realistic motion blur or export to industry-standard shape formats including new Cryptomatte support.
Advanced roto tools include:
- Highly-optimized interface, layer controls, and toolset
- Specialized shape editing tools include magnetic splines, point groups, weighted keyframes, brush-based reshape, split shapes, collapse, and distribute points
- Cryptomatte support
- Integrated point tracking, planar tracking, and Mocha planar tracking
- IK (Inverse Kinematics) to animate limbs and all manner of jointed creatures
- Stereoscopic 3D workflow
- Built for teams and collaboration with review/approval notes for quality control
Auto Paint For Speed And Reliability
Silhouette's 32-bit float raster-based paint and tracking system meets the demands of high-resolution, color-managed VFX pipelines. A unique AutoPaint recording system delivers the speed of raster paint with the repeatability of vector paint on tasks like matte painting, beauty work, rig removal, or just plain paint.
- Paint Tools: Pressure-sensitive customizable brushes and presets. Includes Clone, Grain, Repair, Drag, and more.
- Non-Destructive Paint: Efficient layer system for high resolution film/video paint.
- Channels & Detail Separation: Paint on individual RGBA channels or work on separated detail and color views for advanced control.
- Sophisticated Cloning: Advanced offset and warping, onion skin, and display views enable a streamlined workflow for aligning, patching, and removing unwanted pixels.
- Powerful Tracking Options: Native point, planar tracking, and Mocha options.
- New Mocha Pro and PowerMeshWarp nodes enable warped surface paint workflows.
Node-Based Compositing &Amp; Image Processing
Silhouette's core is a powerful node-based effects tree that delivers film-grade results. View and edit any combination of nodes for complex compositing, matte manipulation, keying, color correction, grain management, look development, morphing, warping, and much more.
Silhouette 2023 includes 400+ specialty nodes organized into Color, Composite, Diffusion, Filter, Film Lab, Image, Key, Light, Sapphire, Silhouette, Special Effects, Time, Tints, Transform, Warp, and OFX groups.
- Gestural node-based compositing
- Improved tracking and spline data ports and node actions
- Updated OCIO v2 color managed workflow
- Customizable workspaces for dual monitor set-ups
- Exacting color grading with 4-way color wheels and presets
- Proprietary matte generation
- Edge tools to color correct or blur the composite's edge
- Matte manipulation using shrink, grow, blur, and wrap functions
- Now includes Sapphire effects (270 nodes) and Particle Illusion (1700+ emitters).
Now including the Mocha Pro node! The fully-featured Silhouette interface for roto, paint, and compositing can also be launched as a plugin from standard VFX applications: After Effects, Premiere Pro, Nuke, Fusion, Resolve, and Flame.
The Silhouette multi-host plugin is included with all Silhouette standalone application licenses or can be purchased as a separate option.
Warping & Morphing
Silhouette's fully-featured shape based warp and morph tools provide the highest level of creative control and render quality for digital retouching, image deformations, and even talking animals. Create invisible touch-ups, subtle facial exaggerations, or dramatic transitions with either shape or pin options.
With a rich history on some of the world's most famous music videos and effects shots, unique "shape-to-shape morphing transitions" can be timed per layer with interactive previews for fast flexibility.
Pin Warp is perfect for beauty work, allowing user-defined image areas using pins while leaving other areas untouched. Adjustments can range from subtle nip and tucks to something more obvious like repositioning an arm or leg.
Keying & Matte Generation
The powerful Primatte, zMatte, and Power Matte nodes use proprietary matte extraction techniques that handle the most difficult keying and matting challenges, including shots with fine hair detail, smoke, or reflections.
Primatte, the industry standard for keying, uses a GPU accelerated algorithm based on three multi-faceted polyhedrons which can be visualized using the 3D Preview display.
zMatte keying features multiple matte creation, light wrapping, edge correction, spill suppression, and matte manipulation.
Power Matte's unique interactive workflow enhances the matte creation process on normally non-keyable shots with foreground and background shape selectors that generate incredibly realistic and accurate results on semi-transparent objects.
Powerful Tracking Options
The industry's most powerful tracking drives Silhouette's animation system and can be applied to speed up paint, roto, warp, and stabilization tasks. Choose from point tracking, native planar tracker, or the award-winning Mocha Pro node, now included in Silhouette 2023.
New surface tool, data ports, and node actions bring a seamless workflow between Mocha and Silhouette nodes.
Pre-processing filters can increase tracker accuracy for problematic images. Choose Blur, Sharpen, Contrast, Gamma, De-Noise, or Remove Flicker. Post-processing filters can be applied to tracking data including Average, Smooth, and Merge.
Sapphire, Particle Illusion & Continuum
- Sapphire: Best-in-class effects include UltraGlow, UltraZap, Lens Flare, Shake, and more.
- Particle Illusion: Add 2D/3D animated particle simulations like snow, smoke, and fire with fluid dynamics.
- Select nodes from Continuum included: Atmospheric Glow, Magic Sharp, Beauty Studio, Light Leaks, Video Glitch, Film Glow, and many blur filters.
Combine new plugins for compositing and effects.
Mocha Pro Node
Award-winning Mocha Pro planar tracking is now a node included with Silhouette.
- GPU-accelerated object removal
- PowerMesh warped surface tracking
- Insert compositing with AdjustTrack
- Award-winning stereo 360/VR tools
- Product Identifiers -MPN: SFX-S
Hassle Free Returns
At Motion Media, our goal is to ensure your complete satisfaction with your purchase. If, for whatever reason, you are dissatisfied with your purchase, you may return it to Motion Media within 30 days. Claims for missing items or items damaged in transit must be received within three business days of receipt of merchandise.
Refunds on returned items will be issued in the same payment form as tendered at the time of purchase. If payment was made by credit card, once we receive the product we will credit your account. Please allow 7-10 days for a credit to appear on your credit card statement. If payment was made by check, please allow 10 business days for a refund check to be issued.
Please read all conditions below. If conditions are not met, Motion Media reserves the right to refuse the return or to charge a restocking fee of up to 25%.
How to return or exchange an item:
- In order to return an item you need to first obtain an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number.
- To request an RMA number, please visit our contact page and send us an email with the request.
- To request an RMA number by phone, call Customer Service at 310-450-4000.
- Place the original package into a shipping carton.
- Include the invoice and the reason for the return. If defective, please specify the defect.
- Please do not place stickers or shipping labels on the original manufacturer's package.
- The RMA number must be clearly written on the outer box. If you received a label in the email, print the label and tape it to the carton.
- Ship via insured ground service with a tracking number. Return shipping charges are the responsibility of the customer. We are not responsible for lost or damaged packages.
- Send pre-authorized returns to:
Motion Media, LLC
709 N. Douglas St.
El Segundo, CA 90245
- Alternatively, you may return an item at our office at the above location, with an approved RMA.
- All returned or exchanged items must be in new condition, in the original box, and must include all packing material, blank warranty cards, manuals, and all accessories.
- Motion Media is not responsible for personal data or items left in returned merchandise.
- Defective items may be repaired or exchanged at our discretion for the same model or manufacturer's equivalent model.
- RMA numbers are valid for 10 days.
- Motion Media is not responsible for any consequential or incidental damage resulting from the sale or use of any merchandise bought from us. We are responsible for the monetary value of the merchandise only.
No Return/Exchange On:
- Any Electronically Delivered Software*
- 3D Printers & Accessories
- Custom systems built or modified by Motion Media to customer's specifications
- Educational dvd's and books once unwrapped
- Motion Media Gift Cards are redeemable for merchandise only and may not be redeemed for cash.
*We offer 30 day returns on Autodesk licenses, excluding monthly terms.