Blackmagic Design URSA Camera PL
Get the best prices on Autodesk products, hands down.
Due to manufacturer's restrictions, we're not allowed to advertise discounted pricing. To see the best price we can offer click the get quote button and one of our Autodesk experts will send you a customized price quote.
What's the difference between Single User & Multi User?
Most Open Box items are like new.
Open Box items at Motion Media are typically units that cannot be considered "New", including, but not limited to:
- demo units
- returned units
- brand new units that show wear to the exterior packaging from handling
- manufacturer refurbished units
Please call for details on this item before purchasing
This item is purchased from a non-US vendor. Due to fluctuating currency exchange rates, we strongly advise you to get a quote before purchasing. The price may be lower than listed here.
Call us at (310) 450-4000 or
contact us via email.
Get 0% Interest
Pay this off over 12 months!
Motion Media offers a 12 month, 0 interest payment plan for all items over $1k. Offer is available nationwide to business and individuals*.
Please call for details. 888-542-8941
Ask an expert
Not sure what you need or if you're looking at the right product?
The Blackmagic URSA is the world's first high end digital film camera designed to revolutionize workflow on set. Built to handle the ergonomics of large film crews as well as single person use, URSA has everything built in, including a massive 10 inch fold out on set monitor, large user upgradeable Super 35 global shutter 4K image sensor, 12G-SDI and internal dual RAW and ProRes recorders. Because the sensor and lens mount assembly can be changed, you can choose EF or PL lens mounts, or even a broadcast video sensor with B4 mount. This means you can upgrade to the latest sensor technology in the future and keep your investment in the camera body!
- Large high resolution 4K Super 35 mm sized sensor with superior handing of image detail.
- Professional global shutter for smooth pans and image motion.
- Wide 12 stops of dynamic range allows capture of increased details for feature film look.
- Compatible with extremely high quality EF mount lenses.
- User upgradable design allows customers to upgrade and change the sensor and lens mount.
- Built in dual CFast 2.0 card recorders allow unlimited duration recording in high quality.
- Open file formats compatible with popular NLE software, such as Apple ProRes and compressed CinemaDNG 12 bit RAW. No custom file formats.
- Support for ProRes HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes LT, ProRes Proxy recording at resolutions up to Ultra HD.
- Features all standard connections, including dual XLR mic/line audio inputs with phantom power, 6G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay and separate XLR 4 pin power output for viewfinder power, 6G-SDI monitoring input, headphone jack, LANC remote control and standard 4 pin 12V DC power connection.
- Built in stereo microphones for recording sound.
- 3 separate built in LCD monitors for camera settings and metadata entry. Large 10 inch screen folds out for full resolution HD monitoring with wide viewing angle and high brightness.
- Supports Ultra HD and 1080 HD resolution capture in 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30 up to 60 fps.
- Features liquid cooling system allowing higher frame rates when future sensors support this feature.
- Supports quick release tripod mounts and adding V-Mount and Anton/Bauer mount battery plates.
- Includes full copy of DaVinci Resolve software color grading and editing software.
Professional Digital Film Camera
The Blackmagic URSA features a larger professional size that has the space for powerful cooling that allows higher frame rates while keeping the chassis cool and the fan quiet. The sleek futuristic machined aluminum design is incredibly strong and has been designed for large film crews while being able to be field upgraded to new sensors by the user.
Each area of the camera has been divided into separate DOP, camera assistant and audio engineer work stations. The DOP station features a large 10 inch fold out on set monitor and separate 5 inch screen for settings, camera status and scopes. The camera assist station features a separate screen for camera settings, status and scopes and an audio station features audio meters, controls and audio connections.
If you're shooting solo then the large fold out on set monitor, built in scopes and internal recorder means you don't need any extra on set equipment because it's all built into the camera. That's a whole film set of equipment built into the one extremely portable design!
Future-proof Ultra HD
URSA is a true professional digital film camera with a 4K sensor, global shutter and an incredible 12 stops of dynamic range. The wide dynamic range blows away regular video cameras or even high end broadcast cameras, so you get dramatically better images that look like true digital film. The wide dynamic range preserves detail in dark shadows as well as bright highlights so you have a wider range of brightness levels to work with when color grading in post production.
The extra large Super 35 size allows for creative shallow depth of field shooting and the high resolution Ultra HD 12 bit lossless Cinema DNG RAW means you get incredible quality! You can also shoot Ultra HD or HD in Apple ProRes™ for easy post production workflow with minimum storage requirements!
User Upgradeable Sensor and Mount
The Blackmagic URSA features a modular camera turret that can be simply removed by removing 4 simple bolts! The camera turret includes the sensor, lens mount and lens control connections and can be upgraded in the future when new types of sensors are developed. This means your next camera will be a fraction of the cost of buying a whole new camera! There are currently 4 models to choose from!
- URSA 4.6K EF includes the amazing 4.6K Super 35 image sensor with global shutter, up to 15 stops of dynamic range and an EF lens mount with active lens control. Now you can use low cost DSLR photo lenses from companies such as Canon, Zeiss and more!
- URSA 4K EF includes an affordable high quality 4K image sensor with global shutter, up to 12 stops of dynamic range and an EF lens mount with active lens control. Now you can use low cost DSLR photo lenses from companies such as Canon, Zeiss and more!
- URSA 4.6K PL includes the amazing 4.6K Super 35 image sensor with global shutter, up to 15 stops of dynamic range and the film industry standard PL lens mount. That's ideal when you need to use feature film industry PL mount lenses for the most cinematic optics available!
- URSA 4K PL includes an affordable high quality 4K image sensor with global shutter, up to 12 stops of dynamic range and the film industry standard PL lens mount. That's ideal when you need to use feature film industry PL mount lenses for the most cinematic optics available!
Dual Recorders for Non Stop Recording
Blackmagic URSA features dual recorders so you never need to stop recording to change media. That's critical if you are shooting an historical event, important interview or where you just cannot stop shooting! Simply load an empty CFast card into the second recorder and when the current card is full, the recording will continue onto the second card, allowing you to change out the full card and keep shooting! The built in recorders use new CFast card technology that allow recording up to 350 MB/s for incredible speeds, perfect for high frame rate RAW recording! Imagine shooting RAW and then playing back for the crew on the massive 10 inch screen
Screens, screens, and more screens!
Say goodbye to bulky on set monitors because you get a massive fold out 10 inch screen built into Blackmagic URSA, making it the world's biggest viewfinder! The screen is super bright so it's easy to see when shooting outdoors, even in direct sunlight, plus it features an ultra wide viewing angle so you can pan and tilt to extremes and still see crystal clear images.
There are two 5" touch screens on both sides of the camera that put your settings, controls and monitoring tools at your fingertips! The left side gives you quick access to all major settings via a touch screen and a row of control buttons. And the right side displays settings like format, frame rate, shutter angle and more! There is a large prominent timecode display, an animated histogram for checking levels, a scrolling audio waveform monitor with clipping indicators and a spectrum scope for helping you check and adjust focus!
DaVinci Resolve Software Included
Blackmagic URSA includes full DaVinci Resolve 11 software for Mac and Windows, so you get more color correction features that let you take advantage of URSA's amazing image quality. You can use the Resolve Live feature to grade live pictures direct from the camera. Imagine lighting your set and color grading all at the same time!
You get the full creative power of primaries, secondaries, power windows and more! You also get DaVinci Resolve's advanced editing features including a full multi layer timeline with ripple, roll, slide and slip clip trimming and title tools! Blackmagic URSA and DaVinci Resolve mean you get a complete production and post production solution!
The Blackmagic URSA features standard broadcast connections so you don't need to worry about buying expensive custom cables! You get 12G-SDI output that can be down converted to HD or used directly at amazing Ultra HD quality. There's also a 12G-SDI input that can display return video on the 10 inch monitor when working on live events or an external video source! A separate SDI output is available for attaching external viewfinders and eye pieces. For audio, there are 2 professional XLR connections with 48v phantom power so you can use the audio industry's best quality microphones. You also get timecode in/out and a LANC connector for controlling the camera, lenses, and accessories remotely.
Broadcast Standard Power
URSA uses a standard 4-pin 12V to 30V XLR broadcast power connector for plugging into external power supplies. There are also mounting points and a power transfer connector for mounting third party V-Mount and Anton/Bauer gold mount back plates and batteries onto the rear of the camera itself. This means you can integrate the battery as part of the camera itself. You also get a standard 4 pin XLR 12V output power connector so you can use a wide range of third party viewfinders without needing expensive custom cables. That means it's easy to integrate the camera with all of your existing gear and accessories!
External Mounting Points
When you're operating as part of a large crew, or flying solo, connecting extra items such as external microphones, fiber converters for live production or large lenses is critical. URSA includes the standard 3/8" threaded points positioned over the top of the camera to make it easy to add extra items as you need to. Underneath the camera are lock plates for using quick lock tripod mounts, so you can snap URSA into a tripod mount and remove in less than a second. That's perfect when shooting on the go. On the rear of the camera are multiple screw mount points for adding V-Lock or Anton Bauer battery mount plates. For large lens and matte box use, production rail mounts are included in the tripod mount point under the camera, and all compatible third party rails are supported!
In The Box
- Blackmagic URSA PL (body only)
- PL Mount turret
- 12V AC Adapter
- Tripod mounting plate adapter
- DaVinci Resolve Studio and dongle
URSA Camera PL Technical Specifications
- Effective Sensor Size
- 21.12mm x 11.88mm (Super 35).
- Effective Resolution
- 3840 x 2160
- Shooting Resolutions
- 3840 x 2160, 1920x1080.
- Frame Rates
- 3840 x 2160p23.98, 3840 x 2160p24, 3840 x 2160p25, 3840 x 2160p29.9, 3840 x 2160p30, 3840 x 2160p60, 1920 x 1080p23.98, 1920 x 1080p24, 1920 x 1080p25, 1920 x 1080p29.97, 1920 x 1080p30, 1920 x 1080p50, 1920 x 1080p59.94, 1920 x 1080p60, 1920 x 1080i50, 1920 x 1080i59.9 and 1920 x 1080i60
- Sensor frame rate support
- Up to 60 fps
- Dynamic Range
- 12 stops
- Iris Control
- Lens Mount
- PL Mount
- Screen Dimensions
- 1 x 10.1" - 1920 x 1200
- 2 x 5" - 800 x 480
- Screen Type
- 10.1" - TFT-LCD
- 5" - Integrated LCD capacitive touchscreen
- Metadata Support
- Automatic camera data and user data such as shot number, filenames and keywords.
- Touch screen menus on 5" screen. Push button controls for navigating menus.
- Integrated mono microphone.
- Integrated mono speaker.
- Mounting Options
- Multiple 1/4"-20 UNC thread mounting on top of camera and on handle bar.
- Rosette on bottom.
- Integrated rods mounts compatible with 15mm Light Weight Support standard.
- Storage Type
- CFast 2.0
- Storage Rates
- Approx 880 Mbps using Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) at 3840 x 2160.
- Approx 220 Mbps using Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) at 1920 x 1080.
- Compressed Recording Formats
- Lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW with film dynamic range at 3840 x 2160.
- Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) at 3840 x 2160 and 1920 x 1080 with either film or video dynamic range.
- SDI Video Output
- 1 x 12G-SDI 10-bit 4:2:2. 1 x 3G-SDI down converted for external monitoring
- SDI Video Input
- 1 x 12G-SDI
- Ref Input
- 1 x Reference Input
- Timecode Input
- 1 x Timecode Input
- Timecode Output
- 1 x Timecode Output
- Analog Audio Input
- 2 x XLR analog switchable between mic and line levels. Phantom power support.
- Analog Audio Output
- 1/4" jack output for headphone monitoring
- SDI Audio Output
- 2 channel
- Remote Control
- 1 x 2.5mm LANC for Rec Start/Stop, Iris Control and Focus.
- Computer Interface
- USB 2.0 Mini-B port for software updates.
- SDI Compliance
- SMPTE 292M
- SDI Audio Sampling
- 48 kHz and 24-bit
- Software Included
- DaVinci Resolve grading software including Resolve USB dongle for Mac OS X and Windows.
- Blackmagic Media Express software.
- DiskSpeed Test.
- Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or later.
- Windows 7 or later.
- External Power Input
- 1 x 4-pin XLR port for external power or battery use.
- External Power Output
- 1 x 12V output using 4-pin XLR for powering external accessories such as EVF.
- Rear camera mount compatible with industry standard V-mount or Gold Mount battery plates.
- Operating Temperature
- 0° to 40° C (32° to 104° F)
- Storage Temperature
- -20° to 45° C (-4° to 113° F)
- Relative Humidity
- 0% to 90% non-condensing
- Product Warranty
- 12 Month Limited Manufacturer's Warranty.
- Blackmagic URSA
- PL Mount turret
- 12V AC Adapter
- Tripod mounting plate adapter
- DaVinci Resolve Software